Monday, April 27, 2009

Water Into Wine: John 2:1-11 - by Josh Fletcher


Let me get straight to the point. Jesus did not suffer to give His followers an average, ordinary life and label it Christianity. Jesus is a life giver! Too often we hear a truncated preaching of the Gospel that misses the deeper truth. The blood of Jesus was shed to make us His children and heirs whose lives testify that Jesus has conquered sin and death. There is nothing more powerful and extraordinary than the abundant life God has for us in Christ Jesus. The word “Christian” means “little Christ”. Too often we settle for designations that are much less. We settle for “good person” and even try to hide our faith in certain company for fear of offending someone. Can I make a confession? I do not want to be known as a good person anymore. I want to be known as a “little Christ” in this world. Like Paul and with God’s help, I want to be able to say with confidence “Imitate me as I imitate Christ.”

In the Gospel according to John, Chapter 2 we read about what presumably is Jesus’ first public miracle. He turns water into wine. In the past I would read this and think how neat it was that Jesus provided for a need, that he blessed a wedding feast. I thought it a lesser miracle, Jesus’ warm-up for what was to come. Recently I have seen a deeper truth in this story. Jesus is giving revelation about himself. Up until this point the world has known Jesus as a good carpenter, son of Mary and Joseph, a good man, perhaps the most eligible bachelor in the village. He remained ordinary water to them. Good and life giving, but ordinary water none-the-less. Jesus changes the water into wine. He is not ordinary – far, far from it. He is not just a prophet but The Prophet. He is not just a priest but The Priest. He is not just a king but the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He is the only begotten Son of God, the Messiah, the Light of the World. He is rare, costly, poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. WINE! When the earthly wine had run dry, the best was yet to come. Jesus, the inebriating source of Life for all who believe!

It is in dark times that Christians must stand out like beacons of hope for others to see. Where I live we just received the news that 1100 people are about to lose their jobs. Similar stories are popping up all around the country. Unemployment is rising and the economy continues to sink to points that we have not seen in decades. People are fearful and suffering. Our enemy confronts us with the temptation to doubt that Jesus offers us true and abundant life and that we are children and heirs. What is an appropriate response to the signs and the times? In trying times can we see Jesus for who He really is? Can we see ourselves the way He sees us?

I say “No” to the enemy! Jesus has conquered sin and death on my behalf! God is my Daddy! I am His beloved son! He gives me true and abundant life and this gift is available right now! Today! Christ’s glory is abundant and longing to shine in the darkness through me! I will be a “little Christ” bringing light to a dark world! Can I get an AMEN!?
Because of this new revelation, I feel encouraged to work on a set of paintings called “Water and Wine” to demonstrate the person and work of Christ. What is God encouraging you to do to shine in the darkness and say “No” to the enemy? How can you be a “little Christ” who can say with confidence, “Imitate me as I imitate Christ”? Share your thoughts. I want to hear how Christ is moving His people to push Satan out of the way and turn fear and suffering into peace and victory.

4 comments:

Gail Burton Purath said...

Great story, Josh. Well-written and also something new for me as far as the point of the water to wine miracle. Gail

Fruitytoenails said...

YES and AMEN! We are not called to lives of mediocrity--lukewarmth--but rather to UNCOMMON, abundant lives with the power of the Holy Spirit on display--to God's glory! Excitement rises up within me as I read your words. What encouragement! Keep writing--and painting.

Unknown said...

wesome Story, really Well Done, I will fallow This Blog From Now On.

Yours Truly
SWM

Unknown said...

Awesome Story lOL I messed Up with The Spelling.