Sunday, April 19, 2009

Honeymoon with God - Christina Darnell

Debbi had been dreaming about Africa since she was young. She remembered stopping by the travel agency to look at the brochures. The pictures of the African children gripped her heart, their eyes pleading for her help. She knew she was called to go – she was even willing to move there if God directed.

But after 17 years of waiting, that dream seemed to lay dormant in her heart. She had a husband and two children, one of whom was still an infant. She felt as though she had missed her chance.
Someone shook her awake, and she opened her eyes. It took a minute to figure out where she was. Her eyes cleared, and she saw Diana sitting next to her on a plane. “They’re about to pass out the dinners and beverages. I thought I should wake you up.”

Debbi looked around, her mind still a little fuzzy. “Thanks.”

She was on her way back home after the fulfillment of her dream. She had spent the past three weeks in Africa traveling to different orphanages, sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ and providing practical relief through food, clothing, and toys. It was every bit as wonderful as she’d thought – but something dawned on her.

God had sent her there for a purpose, but not the purpose she thought. It was clear she wasn’t called to move there. In fact, she wasn’t sure if she would even get to go back. But one thing was clear. God had sent her to Africa so that He could relay an important message to her: He cared as much about her dreams as she did, and He wanted to be her Dreamgiver.

Her relationship with Him reached a new level of intimacy because God communicated His love to her in such a personal way. The mission trip was a chance for her to minister to others, but God had ministered to her. She was reminded of a prayer in Ephesians. “And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ” (3: 17b – 18). God had certainly increased her understanding of his personal love.

As the plane landed hours later and she rushed into the arms of her adoring family, she knew where she had truly been – she realized she had just been on a honeymoon with God.

The story above is about my mom. I had always known her heart for Africa, but I thought her realization about a honeymoon with God was powerful. It is such a testimony of God’s love for us as individuals…I hope you are encouraged to know that He desires to fulfill the dreams of your heart. God gave her the fulfillment of her Africa dream 17 years ago, and then she came home to raise my brother and me. Now she says that being a mom and pouring into us was her highest calling other than knowing Christ. It shows because both my brother and I are serving the Lord and seeking deeper relationships with Him. She was a true example of a disciple of Christ, and I am so thankful to the Lord for her.

3 comments:

Gail Burton Purath said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mom, Christina. It is such a blessing to parents to hear these things from their children.
Gail

Ann said...

What a wonderful story, Christina. It touched my heart so much because I can relate to the "mom" part. I was a stay-at-home mom for many years. It truly has been the most rewarding job that I have ever had. And now God is allowing me to follow the dreams that only He could have placed in my heart.
Ann

jan darnell said...

I love the sweetness in this testimony of God's faithfulness to love on us. Of course you know, I love your mom as well. Good job! Love, jan