Sunday, April 5, 2009

Forgiveness this Spring - Emily Carter


Spring is my favorite time of year. I like it because of the green grass, beautiful flowers, and the warmer weather. Recently, as I was walking in my neighborhood, I heard the beautiful song of Spring. The birds were singing praises to the King. They were singing so loudly that I could not hear the song on my ipod. Did God have other words he wanted to speak to me? Was David Crowder to be turned off this fine, crisp morning?

As I walked, I began thinking about a hurt from my past. The Lord had delivered my family through a difficult situation, yet I was holding on to the pain from it. I thought I had forgiven, but I realized that I was still resenting the people who caused the hurt. Ouch! That is honesty for you. I thought I had forgiven the ones who had hurt us so badly. Yet, only these five years later did I realize that the forgiveness was not there, not true forgiveness.

When I think of Jesus’ teachings on forgiveness, three different passages of scripture come to mind. The first was what his words said about forgiveness and the next set of scriptures focuses on his actions. In the third passage Jesus teaches us about the limits of forgiveness.

Matthew 6:12, when Jesus was teaching his disciples how to pray he told them, “Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.” The Greek word for “forgive” is “AphiÄ“mi” meaning to let go from one’s power or possession, let go free, let escape. To release from obligation, remit a debt, and pardon or forgive debts or faults. To forgive means to not only forgive in word but in the feelings that we have towards the person or situation. We must let go of the resentment that sometimes comes with betrayal. We must forgive completely and move on towards reconciliation.

Jesus, from the cross, used the same term when he said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23:34) The forgiveness that Jesus offers is complete without resentment. This week as you ponder the cross and the resurrection remember what has been accomplished. Death has no victory. Forgiveness is available to all.

Matthew 18:21-35 is the story of the unmerciful servant. He receives forgiveness from a huge loan. Then when someone else comes to him and seeks forgiveness for a tiny debt, the servant refuses. The parable closes with this “In anger his master turned him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart.” (Matthew 18:34-35)

So, I came to the conclusion, as a believer of Jesus Christ who am I to hold back forgiveness. Not that I have attained it, but I am going to press on to this calling that the Lord has placed on my life. I must forgive completely. Then and only then can my heart be made new like the beautiful Spring season that is ours to enjoy.

1 comments:

Ann said...

Emily,

Thank you for this message on forgiveness. I was on a cruise this past week and heard a speaker's testimony on forgiveness. It resonated so much in my spirit that I am searching my heart to see if I have truly forgiven someone in my past...maybe even more than one person. When Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing..." - this scripture just jumped out at me about some people that have hurt me...possibly not knowing what they were doing. Like you said, who are we not to forgive. God bless you for these words.