Monday, May 4, 2009

Secrets - Tammy Blackburn


Who doesn’t love a good secret? All of us can become as giddy as children when we see a brightly wrapped package with our name on it. Even more exciting is to share a gift or surprise with someone else. When my children were young, they would hide behind their doors and whisper and giggle every time a special occasion rolled around. Maybe you’ve stayed awake until the wee hours of the morning talking to a friend. I’m sure all of us can think of a special friend with whom we’ve shared our dreams, our goals and even our disappointments.

When I was a young girl, my best friend lived just down the road from me. We spent many of our days together. The one that is the most memorable to me happened on a snowy day when we were about 12 years old. There were woods that separated our houses with a creek running through them. We loved to walk along the creek to a small stone bridge that was old and crumbling. On this particular day, the snow was already several inches deep and school was out. We met at our usual place in the woods and had a wonderful adventure. As we sat on the bridge to catch our breath for a few minutes, we noticed that the water under us appeared to be frozen. Showing all of the preadolescent intelligence we possessed, we decided to try walking on water. About halfway across, the ice cracked and we fell in up to our thighs. We started laughing so hard at each other that we ended up falling all the way in. By the time we climbed onto the creek bank, we were soaked and frozen. We went back to my friend’s house and his mother gave us dry clothes, sat us in front of the fireplace, and made us hot chocolate. We sat there for hours just sharing our thoughts. We felt free to share things with each other that we would not have shared with anyone else.
Why were we able to be so transparent, and why did we feel so comfortable sharing our secrets? It is because we had spent so much time together. We had laughed together, cried together, worked together, eaten together, and played together.

In my quiet time recently, God spoke to me through Psalms 25:14. “The LORD confides in those who fear Him; He makes His covenant known to them.” Wow! Imagine God sharing His secrets with us. After all, that is what it means to confide in someone. I began to imagine myself walking along a creek, hand in hand with my Savior, and having Him share His dreams with me. Maybe we would sit on an old crumbling bridge and talk about all the things that were important to us. However, if I haven’t spent enough time getting to know Him, how will we be able to share so openly with each other? I want to spend my days in His presence. When I cry or laugh I want to share it with Jesus. I want Him there when I am at work or when I am at play. I want to know my Heavenly Father so intimately that He shares His secrets and confides in me. I want to know the heart of my King as well as He knows mine.

0 comments: