Sunday, February 7, 2010

Wow Dee Wow by Kim Jackson

The first time my Mom saw the ocean, she stood on the shore, spread her arms open wide as if to embrace a new friend, and said, “Look what the Lord has done.”

Her marvel at the ocean deepened with each trip to her beloved seashore. Whether admiring a sunrise’s riot of color or standing mesmerized by dancing dolphins, the expression on her face reflected the depth of her awe.

Beauty rarely escaped my Mom’s recognition. Whether at ocean’s edge or in her native Midwest, my Mom appreciated not only the “pretty of creation,” but also the unique, the detail, and the spectacular in the world around her. She even coined a signature exclamation to capture her wonder: “Wow Dee Wow!”

I believe God is honored by “Wow Dee Wow!”

The Psalms often rally us to speak, shout and sing our “Wow Dee Wows.” One of my favorites is Psalm 34:2: “My soul will boast in the Lord….” In the margin next to that verse I’ve written: “I’m bragging on You, Lord,” and “I’m proud of You, God!”

Several years ago I visited a church known for its vibrant worship. As I drove up the long driveway to the parking lot, I noticed two large stone monuments. I pulled my car to the edge of the road and smiled when I realized the stones were engraved with words reminiscent of Luke 19:40.

The first stone read, “If you don’t praise Him…” The second stone continued, “We will.”

I don’t want a rock taking my place in praising God, do you?

When I lived on the east side of Orlando, I would leave for work at 6:30 a.m. each morning for a commute that required me to merge onto the race track otherwise known as the East/West Expressway—something that almost always improved my prayer life.

One particular morning I was already in the prayer mode before approaching the ramp to the expressway. As I considered the day that would unfold before me, my prayers were along these lines:

“God, I want to make You smile today. I want to live my life in such a way that it brings joy to your great heart. Show me ways that I can delight You. I want to make You smile today, God.”

And just as I was speaking those words, I was at the top of the ramp and needed to look in my side mirror to see if the oncoming cars would allow an easy merge.

But what I saw in the mirror was not headlights or bumpers, but instead, an incredibly glorious sunrise. As my car merged in to the westbound lanes, this fantastic display continued to develop in my rearview mirror. The colors were stunning. Even viewed in a mirror, the artistry was overwhelming.

It was then that I heard God speak to my spirit: “What a coincidence… I want to make you smile today, too.”

I reveled in the thought! God had painted the skies for me that day! Or at least for those who would take note of such a display of grandeur. I was obviously in a minority that morning, for when I pulled up to the first tollbooth I could see that the occupants in the cars squeezed around mine had not noticed God’s colorful canvas. On the contrary, the lady in front of me was putting on makeup; another driver was juggling coffee and breakfast biscuits. And I think the driver on my left had the Wall Street Journal draped over his steering wheel.

My soul cried out, “Oh God, thank You for making me smile this morning! Father, please don’t let me ever be so distracted that I miss Your glory displayed in the skies. May my heart always respond to Your creative craftsmanship with ‘Wow Dee Wows’ of praise.”

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands”   Psalm 19:1.

13 comments:

Ann said...

What a beautiful portrayal of God's handiwork. Isn't it amazing how His creation speaks to us just when we need it. Thanks, Kim for the reminder.
Blessings,
Ann

Bettie Hall said...

What can I say? but "Wow Dee Wow!"
Thanks Kim for sharing such beautiful memories of your mom and the smile of God in His glorious sunrises.

Anonymous said...

You are my favorite writer of all time! The thought of you always makes Duke and me smile! We love you so much! Thank you for making God smile each day and for seeing His smile upon you always!

Anonymous said...

Kim,

That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. It's a glorious way to begin a day; take a break during the day; or to enjoy as day slips into night.

Betty Walker

Andy B said...

As I look at the two feet of snow outside my window, I think I needed to hear a little wow dee wow. Perspective is everything. May our perspective always be looking for those wow dee wow God moments. Thanks Kim Joy!

Tammy said...

I'm so glad I had the blessing of meeting your mom. Anyone who knew her could say, "Wow Dee Wow, look what the Lord has done!"

Tammy said...

I'm so glad I had the blessing of meeting your mom. Anyone who knew her could say, "Wow Dee Wow, look what the Lord has done!"

diamondgirl56 said...

Kim I just Thank God for the privilege of knowing you and your whole family. I had the privelege of working with Judy @ Wal-Mart. I am sooooo proud of all the work God has done in your life. Thankful for everything he has done in my life. We have come along way from the Christian Church in Palestine. LOL!!!
Love you,
Mary Jane

Kim Jackson said...

Can't wait to stand in front of Jesus with your mom and say, "Wow Dee Wow!!" That will be the ultimate!

Faye said...

Dear Kim,
Hi ole friend! It's Faye---still waiting patiently for my move to Virginia!
Still have a smile on my face--thinking of your Mom--I bet the Lord introduced her to my Mom, Margie-- who every year would call me to say that the blooms on her Magnolia tree were the most beautiful she's ever seen! L2U-Faye

JoAnn said...

Wow Dee Wow will be added to my vocabulary as I too marvel at God's creation in the early morning rear view mirror scene of a glorious sunrise or as I breathe in the smell of the salty air while I view His handiwork at the ocean's edge. Thanks Kim, for your story of love.

Gail Burton Purath said...

Kim, I somehow missed reading your blog until this Sunday, but what a blessing it was to read and reflect on what you write. Thanks. Gail

johnabakergt said...

Kim, Do you remember the singles conference in C'ville which Andy led from the Kingsport Methodist Church and you were the featured speaker. Gary (his "boss") wrote a song in your honor. I cannot remember the whole song, but the first line went as follows: "Kim Jackson, she's a tall drink of water, she's Rose Bush's daughter."

Fond memories, John Baker