Monday, February 1, 2010

Have No Shame by Jenn Fromke

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel . . . “ Romans 1:16


If I say this every day when I wake up in the morning, what might it do to my life?

I do not want to be ashamed of the Gospel of Christ.

I am not ashamed of the Gospel at Bible Study.

I am not ashamed of the Gospel at church.

I am not ashamed of the Gospel with my kids.

I am not ashamed of the Gospel when I’m alone.

I am not ashamed of the Gospel when someone steps on my rights to religious freedom.

I’m not ashamed of the Gospel at the grocery store until I am prompted to pay for someone else’s groceries.

I’m not ashamed of the Gospel when I talk to other people who are sharing it.

I’m not ashamed of the Gospel until I see someone standing on a corner holding a sign. Then I wonder if I should give him money or the Gospel or both. Most often, the light turns green, and I give him neither.

I’m not ashamed of the Gospel when I plan an event that is designed to share the Gospel.

I’m ashamed of myself when a spontaneous opportunity presents itself and I don’t feel “ready” to share the Gospel.

When I am with unbelievers, sometimes I spend more time plotting how I’ll share with them than I spend listening to what they have to say.

When I am surrounded by strangers, I think, wouldn’t it be nice if they could see the Gospel in me without my ever saying a word?

When I am with a loved one I don’t believe is walking with the Lord, I wish he would listen to the Gospel somewhere, sometime.

When I am with a friend who doesn’t know the Lord, I pat myself on the back if I manage to slip tiny pieces of the Gospel into our conversation.

When I am with those who need it most, I often judge whether they “want” to hear the Gospel or not, and if I don’t think they “want” to hear it, I don’t speak it.

Some days I feel like wearing a T-shirt which proclaims the Gospel of Christ.

Some days I hide behind the pages of a newspaper, which promotes ideas contrary to the Gospel.

I am ashamed of my ineptitude when it comes to sharing the Gospel of Christ.

HOWEVER!

I am a child of God and as such, I am empowered by the Holy Spirit, who lives in me, to share the Gospel.

I am overwhelmed that God would use someone like me to participate in such eternal things as carrying the Gospel of Christ to people who are desperate for it.

Even when I am failing miserably, as I try to explain the truth of God, He will miraculously bring understanding through my feeble words, so that His Word is proclaimed with power; Holy Spirit power.

I am not ashamed of the One in whom I’ve placed my faith.

I am not ashamed of the mercy He granted me when I believed.

I am not ashamed of the grace He lavishes on me daily, wholly undeserved.

I wish I could give all that He’s given me, to all the people who have not yet heard or responded to the Gospel.

THEREFORE,

I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes, first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: The righteous will live by faith.” Romans 1:16-17

5 comments:

Kim Jackson said...

Jenn, thank you for writing words that resonate deeply with me. I am going to print this out and pray over it because I know God wants to speak to me about specifics. Thank you for writing this!

Ann said...

Jenn,
Thanks for being so honest. I think we all need to pray for "boldness" in sharing the gospel.

Blessings,
Ann

JoAnn said...

Jenn, Great words. Kim beat me to it, but I'm doing the same thing; I'm printing it out and letting it continue to speak to me. I believe you've spoken for many.

Joan said...

Kim,

Everytime I think of you I see God shinning through you to others. Your heart is warm and loving to everyone you meet. Thank you so much for sharing with us. May the Lord continue to use you in His glory. You are forever etched in my heart. Love, Joan Eades

Unknown said...

I am proud that you are not afraid of sharing the gospel.
I am proud that you are involved in helping to fulfill the Great Comission.
I am proud that you are my daughter!