Sunday, June 6, 2010

Passion Calls...Are You Listening by Serena Haneline

For 33 years I’ve been searching for my passion in life. Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary defines the word “passion” as “an object of desire or deep interest.” I’ve read many books over the years that said if you could only find your passion in life, you’d find your purpose. And for 33 years – okay, maybe only about 20 years – I’ve never really thought I had any passions.

When I was a teenager, I used to love to write poetry and short stories. And of course, as a teenager, I had a lot more time to sit around and write. Then I went to school and studied journalism, mostly because writing was all I knew I liked and was good at.

For the last few years, I’ve felt a block when it comes to writing. Maybe it was because I had not yet identified my passions. However, in the last few months, it seems one passion has come to my attention, and quite unexpectedly.

In the midst of a conversation with a friend, that passion arose. I got excited and animated when I spoke about the subject. I believe it’s the same passion that rose up in Jesus when the Pharisees and Sadducees confronted him in their self-righteousness. A passion that sees the chains “religion” puts on people…chains of endless rules that choke out life and freedom.

A song I’ve heard on the radio called “More Like Falling in Love” by Jason Gray captures my thoughts on religion. He says that following Jesus is more than something to believe in; more than something to pledge our allegiance to. Instead it’s like falling in love. And religion is like a stone tied to our feet, not setting us free.
I grew up in the heart of “religion,” thinking that every time I sinned, I had to go get “saved” again. I grew up thinking of God as an angry taskmaster, expecting me to be perfect. I grew up believing that God always looked on me in disappointment and disgust. I carried those thoughts into adulthood. It’s taken me years to begin to see the Truth.

Then a few years ago, I was confronted with the ugly face of religion in a relationship with a man who believed that the law was the heart of Christianity. I found out in a short amount of time that the law brings only hate and a feeling of despair rather than what Jesus taught, which is love and hope.

It’s really all about having a relationship with a living, breathing God who wants to speak to us every day; who wants to work in our lives every day. He wants to do the miraculous and the supernatural in our lives. In my life. Every day.

I believe that God has given me an assignment and frankly it scares me. It’s to use my talent of writing and my passion against standard religion. It’s to write a book. He gave me the title, which is not something that I usually get first. Titles have never been my strong suit. The title is: “Steeped in Religion or Soaked in the Supernatural.”

I see this book as a book of stories and Truth—as God sees it, not as we perceive it. It will contain stories of people coming out of the deadness of religion and into the life of the supernatural, and stories of people still stuck in the pit of religion. I see it as a call to help those who have the spirit of the Pharisees—those who thought they had it all together and winded up missing the point of it all.

The message being that it’s never been about what WE can do to get to God. It’s always been what HE has done to get us to Him. It’s never been about hate, but about love. And it’s never been about religion, but the supernatural. God’s Spirit working through His creation to spread His message through all the earth.

I heard someone say this on TV the other night: “You can make all the plans you want. But God has made His and He doesn’t feel the need to check in with you.” God has made his plans for me…and for you. Even before we were born, He put passions inside of each us. Now if only we will let the Holy Spirit breathe on us, he will ignite that passion. All for His glory, not ours. And all for His purpose and not to satisfy a list of rules.

So yes, it seems I have found a passion and therefore, a purpose. It’s time to write.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Serena,
I love your boldness in realizing that you do have a passion and calling to write what God has laid on your heart. GO FOR IT GIRL!

Kim Jackson said...

Hooray and Hallelujah, Serena! Thank you for sharing your Spirit-inspired insights with honesty and holy enthusiasm. Your words excite and challenge me as well. I will be praying for you!

JoAnn said...

Serena - I could hear the passion and smell the fire burning! Go get 'em!

JoAnn

cddarnell said...

Serena - I was so moved to read your article. I'm excited that God has answered your prayer and clarified your passion and call for this season of your life...I'm excited to hear about it as you move forward!