Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Window: A Glimpse of God's Calling by Ann Wayne

A year and a half ago, I made plans to remodel my master bathroom. The builder came by, measured the room and discussed the details. I excitedly pointed out to him that I wanted a small window cut into the exterior wall. You see, no window existed in this bathroom.

When the builder left that day, I stood there and imagined looking out the window and seeing God’s creation in the back yard. The tall oak trees towering in the woods, the deer that pass by occasionally; and now I would be able to hear the sounds of the finches chirping as they hang on the swinging bag of thistle seed, filling their bellies to the brim.

When the remodel was complete, this small window became my favorite addition to the room. It reminded me of God’s calling on those of us who write and speak. For the past several years, God has given me opportunities to attend conferences and fine tune these skills, a little at a time. He hasn’t opened any big doors yet, but I know that He will in the right time. For most of us, these skills are developed over the years through life experiences and continuing education. There are some who are fortunate enough to use their journalism degree to lay their foundation of writing on. But I think it is so cool when someone says, “I have known for years that God has called me to write; I am just getting the opportunity to work on the skills.”

In Psalm 102:18 ( NKJ), the psalmist writes “This will be written for the generation to come, that a people yet to be created may praise the Lord.” This is so exciting to me, that not only are we using our gifts to glorify God, but our children and grandchildren will read what we have written and praise the Lord. I think that this is one of the main reasons that God is calling me to write, so that I can share the hope and victories of trials with the generations to come. Notice that the psalmist didn’t say that it should be written, but that it will be written. Now brothers and sisters, the word of God is not to be compromised. We are supposed to act upon what we read in His word. So get busy and write! Or maybe you are supposed to be speaking too!

I struggle at times trying to figure out what I am supposed to write, finding the time to write and how best to hone the skills that are waiting to jump out on the paper. I would like to share a few strategies with you that are helping me to go forward.

Journal, journal, journal- This is one of the best ways to capture your thoughts each day. It’s amazing what the Lord can reveal to you in your quiet time. You may write only a few short notes, but you will realize that what you write today may be just the script you need later for an article or even a book. I even have a voice recorder that I carry with me in my purse. Sometimes, driving down the road, I will have a brainstorm with ideas for writing or speaking. Or maybe even a life experience is so unique that it will be recorded. My handy voice recorder captures the thoughts I wouldn’t be able to stop and write down. The Lord also gives me glimpses of opportunity as I communicate with Him through prayer.

Attend conferences or take classes- We wouldn’t expect a child to learn his alphabet or how to count by figuring it out on his own. The same principle applies to writing and speaking. We must seek out different venues for training so that we can develop our skills. There are many Christian conferences and retreats all over the country. Even the community colleges offer writing classes. There are also writing mentorship programs that are very helpful and some even offer certificates and diplomas. Yes, they cost something, but doesn’t anything in life worthwhile? The old saying goes something like this. “You get out of it what you put into it.”

Join a Writer’s Group- A group of like-minded writers can be a great support group to encourage, critique and share ideas for getting published. This is an excellent way to network and get leads to writing projects too. Check your local library or church to see if they host a writer’s group.

Subscriptions and Publications- The Christian and secular media is saturated with all types of publications to enhance writing and speaking. Looks for annual publications, monthly or quarterly magazines, online publications and free material that is handed out at some of the conferences. These are great avenues to make connections with the niche you are looking for to help develop your skills.
I hope that these bits of information are helpful, especially to the amateur writer and speaker. I enjoy looking out my small window each morning as I prepare for the day. Through nature, God reminds me that He is in control of every moment of my life.

Look for windows of opportunity in your life; don’t try to walk through doors yet. Wait for God to open the door; it will be in His perfect timing.

3 comments:

Gail Burton Purath said...

I love your window analogy, Ann.
Thanks, Gail

jan darnell said...

Great insights and ideas Ann! You have helped to remind me of some things that I should be doing. God bless you! Love, jan

Kim Jackson said...

Wow! Thank you, Ann, for this well-written and "right-on" encouragement and reminder. I know God will use it to challenge others--no doubt He used it to challenge me to keep pursuing His deeper destiny as well as His daily destiny for me. Thank you, friend.