Sunday, December 27, 2009

Calendar Consecration by Kim Jackson

I bought my 2010 calendar today. There were three full kiosks at the office supply store, each boasting different designs, colors, formats, and time frames. The one I picked is called a “Monthly/Weekly Planning Calendar.” It has a tagline printed under the brand name: “Design your day.” I chose a lavender way to design my days. At the present moment it has pristine 2” squares for each day of the upcoming year.

Quite a lot of each day is planned for me by others: my boss at work, my church responsibilities, the clubs and groups I belong to, doctor’s appointments, etc. Sometimes I get to fill in a few of those blank squares with things that make my heart smile: “Home for Thanksgiving,” “Writing Retreat,” “Meet Robin for lunch.”


I will write in lots of appointments and plans. The empty squares on my calendar will quickly fill up. I’ll start out writing neatly, but soon scribbles will overtake my precision.

Sometimes things have to be marked off my calendar because, as John Lennon said, “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.”

But does life really “happen to” a believer in Christ Jesus?

Ponder this:

For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do (Ephesians 2:10, NIV).

There is a designer for each of my days, but I’m clear that it’s not me. So how do I cooperate with His design for the precious days He has given me?

Several years ago I started a tradition that helps me be awake and aware to God’s handwriting on my calendar. Perhaps it might help you, too.

I set aside a chunk of time near the end of the year to consecrate my calendar. I put on a favorite praise and worship CD, open my new calendar to January and write out Ephesians 2:10 at the top of the page. Then I pray something like this:

Dear Jesus,

Today, December 31, 2009, I consecrate my 2010 calendar to You. I commit the days You have given me on this planet to Your purposes.

Thank You for the gift of life. I pray that You will strengthen me to live a life that makes You smile.

Jesus, Your Word says in Ephesians 2:10 that I am Your masterpiece, Your workmanship, and that the reason You created me is to do good works which You prepared in advance for me to do.

So today, Jesus, I am asking You to fill all the little blank squares on this calendar with the things You prepared before time began, specifically with me in mind. I want to always be on Your schedule, fulfilling everything You have in mind for me to do in the minutes and months of my life.

I ask that You will guard my heart from distractions that would hinder me from fulfilling the matters You have planned. Keep me aware and awake to Your Spirit’s promptings and help me to seek Your guidance before filling up the squares on this calendar.

Father, if I run ahead or behind of your perfect plan, I claim the promise in Your Word, Romans 8:28, that even in my missteps, You will work things for good.

Father, please teach me what it means to “number my days that I may gain a heart of wisdom” (Psalm 90:12).
Lord, help me to recognize the enemy’s strategies that would keep me busy, but not productive; remind me often of Your truth expressed in 2 Corinthians 4:18 so that I will fix my eyes, not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. Please remind me frequently that what is seen in temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

True Lord Jesus, empower me by Your Spirit to live my life with my eyes focused on what matters to You.

Lord, if you tarry and I am still walking this earth on January 1, 2011, may I be able to look back over the filled-in pages of this 2010 calendar and rejoice, knowing that I have lived well for my Master.

I love You,
Kim

2 comments:

Gail Burton Purath said...

Amen! What a great devotion, Kim. I will consecrate my calendar this year. Gail

Ann said...

Wow Kim. I love this idea. I will pray over my calendar too as I begin to fill in the new year's agenda. My prayer is that it will be God's agenda, not mine.

Blessings,
Ann