Monday, October 12, 2009

Pantyhose and Prayer by Kim Jackson

Halfway into church from the parking lot I realized that my pantyhose were rapidly becoming kneehighs. I continued talking to my friends as if nothing was amiss, but inwardly I was praying that I would make it to the safety of a nearby restroom before the top of my pantyhose sagged below my skirt.

My prayer was answered and I was able to hike up the hose and tuck the elastic-weary waistband into other undergarments. This temporary fix allowed me to attend Sunday school, after which I returned to the restroom for further shoring up.

On my way into the sanctuary I considered that, given said dilemma, I might need to worship less enthusiastically than is my custom. That is easier said than done at our church. And even more so when the choir launches into “All Things are Possible,” followed by a roarin’ rendition of “Trading My Sorrows.”

While one cannot modestly assess pantyhose progress in public places, I felt as we neared the end of worship that I was holding up well. And I could, if necessary, wait until the sanctuary cleared to make my getaway.

What I had not anticipated was the Spirit moving on my heart during the pastor’s sermon. Much of what he said stirred my soul. When he asked for those desiring prayer
to come forward, everything within me wanted to respond.

But I was held captive in pantyhose prison.

I knew that God could meet me right where I was, but I longed to step out, go forward, and pour out the desires of my heart in prayer at the altar.

Instead, I sat down.

As the service concluded, a new friend named Clara walked back to my pew. She took one look at me and then turned to a friend and said, “Is she ok?” When Deb responded positively, Clara dismissed her answer and spoke directly to me. “Are you ok?”

“Yes, I am” I said, all the while trying to gauge the current status of the pantyhose problem. I made an executive decision that my pantyhose were up—literally—for the walk to the car, so we began to make our way through the crowd to the parking lot.

Along the way we ran into more friends, so there followed a round of greetings and hugs. As Clara and I waited for the rest of our group, she looked at me again and asked, “Are you sure you are ok? Is there anything I can pray about for you?”

I don’t know Clara well, but I do know she is a woman of prayer. So I told her what was on my heart. With not a second of hesitation, Clara commenced to very specifically exhort me in the Lord. She rattled off a succession of Scripture verses that could not have been more perfectly suited. She encouraged, she blessed, she spoke truth into my life. And she concluded with a promise to pray for me concerning the very reason I had longed to go forward.

When we dropped Clara off at her apartment, her last words to me were “Now you stay encouraged!”

Back at my house, I gratefully removed the problematic pantyhose, which obviously took little effort to bring down. As I sat on the edge of the bed, Clara’s sweet exhortations flowed through my mind. And I smiled to think how committed God was to reaching out to me when I was not “up” to reaching Him.

I will answer them before they even call to me. While they are still talking about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers! (Isaiah 65:24 NLT)

2 comments:

Ann said...

Kim,
I loved this article. I can sure relate to an uncomfortable situation. Isn't it amazing how God always provides...through other's encouragement, even when they don't know the details of our situation.
Blessings,
Ann

Gail Burton Purath said...

Kim,
Your article made me smile from humor at the beginning and sweetness at the end.
Thanks for sharing it.
Gail