Sunday, June 21, 2009

Roadmap for Life: GPS – God Provides Security by Ann C. Wayne


A few months ago, I was traveling from Salisbury to Mooresville after dark. I was trying to meet a deadline and be on time for my small group. Trying to save time, I decided to take a route down a winding country highway that I had only driven on once during daylight hours. Suctioned to my windshield was my trusty GPS. Or at least I was hoping that I could trust it.

I typed in the address of the destination and hoped for the best. It had never failed me before, but I had always depended on it during the day. Not on a desolate country road that wasn’t the safest place to be as a single female. A little anxiety flowed through my veins as I took a deep breath and sped down the highway.

Then the Spirit nudged me as if to say, “Be still and know that I am God” – Psalm 46:10. “I’ve always been here for you in times like this. Do not be afraid! Now why are you stressing over this?” So I began to pray and ask the Lord to wrap His hedge of protection around me and deliver me safely to my small group.

I began to think about God’s word being the road map for our lives. So many times we try to take things in our own hands instead of trusting in His word and putting our faith in Him. We worry and fret over issues as if there is no hope. In Deuteronomy 31:6, Moses reminded Joshua that the Lord was with him as he began to take the leadership role in taking the Israelites into the promised land. He said, “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them (the Egyptians), for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Moses had the kind of faith that God wants us to have. The kind that moves mountains or the kind that parts seas.

In Proverbs 3:5-6, the scripture says, “5Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” Simply put, the Lord wants us to read and follow His road map to life – The Bible.

If we can put our trust in a man-made device like a GPS to help us reach our destination, why can’t we trust God with our lives? Could we be lacking in faith? Do we need to see something tangible so that we will believe and trust?

After arriving at my destination that evening, I realized that God was really in control of my trip that night – even while traveling on a desolate highway depending on a GPS. My real lesson that evening was a test of my faith. I prayed that the Lord would increase it so that I would trust Him more.

0 comments: