Sunday, March 14, 2010

Have You Folded Any Socks Lately? by Gail Purath

Several weeks ago we had lunch with our daughter and two of her little girls. When my husband and I left the restaurant to run errands, four-year-old Gracie begged to come with us. It’s hard to say no to her, but we remained strong. We had too much to do that day to let the disappointment in her little freckled face persuade us.

An hour later while we were standing in the plumbing department of Lowes, I got a call on my cell phone. It was from Gracie, and she was so excited that she was slurring her words. All I could make out was that she had learned to do something new.

“Well, I must have one of the smartest granddaughters around!” I told Gracie even though I couldn’t understand what she was saying. Next I asked if I could speak to her mom. Our daughter got on the phone and explained that they’d been doing laundry and she’d taught Gracie how to roll a pair of socks into a little bundle. As soon as Gracie mastered this task, she said, “Where’s the phone! I have to tell Grammy!”

I can’t tell you how honored it made me feel to know that Gracie wanted to share this event with me. The fact that sock folding is somewhat insignificant actually made Gracie’s call more meaningful. It means she understands how much I love her, and how pleased I am to hear about everything that’s going on in her life. If it’s important to her, she knows it’s important to me.

As I thought through this incident, I couldn’t help but relate it to my relationship with God. God knows everything; I don’t really need to share anything with Him. But knowing something is not the same as hearing it from one of your children. God actually enjoys hearing my thoughts, questions, sorrows, disappointments, joys, and requests, no matter how insignificant they are to everyone else.

1 Thessalonians 6:16-18 tells us to pray continually, but what does this really mean? I’ve heard it described several ways:

It means that prayer is automatic, almost like breathing; our first response in every situation.

It means God is our “default mode” so whenever we are not speaking to someone else, our thoughts turn to Him.

It means living in a state of constant and complete dependence upon God.

It means praying whether we feel like it or not, any time, any place, with or without speaking aloud.

We have to learn to pray continually—it doesn’t come naturally. I’ve known people who actually set the hourly alarm on their watch so they can remember God every hour they are awake.

The thing Gracie showed me about praying continually is the way it must bless God. When I include Him in the ordinary things of life, I imagine He feels like I felt when Gracie called—like a loved and respected friend, not just a faithful caregiver.

I’ll ask you the same question that I’ve been asking myself the last few weeks: “Have you folded any socks lately?”

God is eager to hear about it!

5 comments:

Kim Jackson said...

Gail--I love this! Thank you for sharing this event with insight, wisdom, heart and creativity! Its message is wonderfully profound and a great reminder of the sweetness of God's love. Count me in as one of many who will be smiling when I put my socks on this morning!

Nicole Hyatt said...

So sweet! Love the pic and the message that God loves us so!! :)

Bea Flower said...

Gail, I love what you had to say and how you described it so well. What a great example and reminder to pray without ceasing. It is so easy to be distracted and sidetracked by events and circumstances. Folding socks will never be the same for me from now on. Thank you for this beautiful message. Shalom

Ann said...

Gail,
I loved your message about your granddaughter learning to fold socks. It reminds me of my little Emma Grace who is also 4. I think of the many times that God must smile at us when we accomplish something new in his kingdom. Thanks for sharing!

Judy said...

God is always teaching us---through the little events in our day---something about Himself and something about us. Am I always learning? Sadly, not always. Thank you, Gail for being teachable in these little moments and sharing with us a glimpse of our Savior. When you wrote about the man who set his watch alarm to remind him to pray, I thought of a friend of mine who has set her password on her computer to "praymark." She said it is a frequent reminder throughout the day, whenever she logs on, to pray for her son away in college. <><