Sunday, March 8, 2009

No Words Necessary - Tammy Blackburn


Words are an essential tool to a writer, and as a writer it is hard to imagine a time when words are not important. However, in the last two weeks, I have been reminded that there are indeed times when words are not only unnecessary, they are impossible to find.

My mother passed away Sunday, February 22 after a two and a half year battle with cancer. Our many family members gathered at her house the day before to try and say goodbye. She had slipped away to the point that she could no longer wake up. I noticed that each of us had the same problem. As we sat by her bedside, no words would come. We tried speaking through our tears and the hard lumps in our throats, but gradually it became enough just to hold her hand and stroke her hair that had become thin from chemotherapy. We had no words for each other, either. There were lots of hugs, but mostly we were quiet as we each meditated on what was happening and committed to memory all the special times we had shared with my Mom.

I have some truly wonderful friends who came by to offer their prayers and their sympathy. Without fail, each one said the same thing, “I don’t know what to say.” The truth is they didn’t need to say anything. Their presence, hugs, prayers, food, and tears said all that needed to be said. I felt genuinely loved and supported. No words were necessary.

Several times after the funeral and everything was over, I tried to sit at my computer and write. For the life of me, I couldn’t seem to type a single word. It was as if all motivation and inspiration had left me. I was feeling very discouraged. Then God, in His gentle and loving way, led me to Mark 9:2-8. It is a familiar story to all of us. Jesus invited Peter, James, and John to go up on a high mountain with Him. There, Jesus was transfigured right before their eyes. Scripture tells us that His clothes became a dazzling white that no bleach in the world could produce. Elijah and Moses appeared with Him and they began to have a conversation. Peter was so amazed that he felt the need to comment. Yet, he was so frightened that he did not know what to say. As he stumbled over some unnecessary words, God’s voice sounded from Heaven. God told them to be quiet and listen to His Son! When they looked around again, they could see nothing but Jesus.

Sometimes, we have to simply stop writing and listen for our Savior’s words. We have to wait until we can see only Jesus in everything. Then and only then, will our words be truly from Him. So, I prayed for peace in my silence. I prayed to see my Jesus as amazingly as the three disciples got to see Him. I prayed that I would be able to be quiet and hear His voice.

Our God is so good! I was searching for Him through my quiet times and other usual ways. But, He is far from usual or ordinary. I was driving home the morning after our beautiful snow. The sun was shining, the sky was blue and it was like driving through a winter wonderland. I turned onto my road and immediately the snow was so bright I could barely see where I was going. It seemed whiter than anything I had ever seen. Then, I noticed a row of trees that had beads of ice lining each branch. The sun shining from behind them created such a brilliant burst of light that I had to cover my face. I felt the presence of God so strongly that it took my breath away. My whole being cried out to praise Him, yet the only word that came was, “Wow!”

I know my Savior was answering my prayers that morning. I felt His Glory all around me. I pray that as the words begin to flow from me again that all I will be able to see is Him. I also pray that I will never forget that sometimes no words are necessary. Sometimes we have to be quiet and listen for His voice.



1 comments:

Gail Burton Purath said...

Tammy, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for this insight. It is an interesting connection between the dazzling white of transfiguration and the dazzling white of the snow. Gail